Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Where to Eat in Philadelphia: Part II

As promised, here is the second half of my list of favorite restaurants in Philadelphia!


Enjoy a Night (or Morning) Out

Philly is full of great chain restaurants and unique little cafes or eateries, but when I’m looking to go out for an evening, I love to try one of the Garces Group or Starr restaurants.

Garces Group, operated by Iron Chef Jose Garces, includes eight different nice restaurants in Philadelphia all with delicious food! I’m a big fan of Amada, but Distrito is located right on Penn’s campus and easily accessible. I can’t wait to try Village Whiskey - it’s next on my list!

Renowned chef Stephen Starr also owns and operates a whopping twenty-two restaurants in Philadelphia! Andrea has already given a great review of Alma de Cuba, but my favorite Starr restaurants are El Vez and Pod (also located on Penn’s campus).

One of my family’s favorite restaurants in Philly (also a Stephen Starr restaurant) is Jones. The restaurant itself looks like a home right out of the 1970’s (think Brady Bunch!) with a sunken living room, swivel chairs, and a cozy fireplace. Jones serves amazing comfort food like mac & cheese, fried chicken, and meatloaf, but we’ve been there for several brunches and dinners and have never been disappointed!

One thing you should know about me is I LOVE BRUNCH! I love breakfast foods anyway, but there’s something so satisfying about integrating them into a “late-breakfast-early-lunch” meal that really becomes its own event! Sabrina’s Cafe (located a few blocks from Penn on Drexel’s campus) has an amazing brunch, it’s affordable, and you get a lot of delicious food - they even theme the constantly changing weekend menu based on tv shows or other pop culture themes. I should note, Sabrina’s is open for all meals of the day, but brunch there is my favorite!

Another recommendation that I always make (with a few disclaimers) is the Philadelphia Water Works. This GORGEOUS restaurant right on the Schuylkill River hosts a phenomenal brunch every weekend with lots and lots of delicious food, beautiful views, and excellent service. However, brunch here is a little pricey so it’s probably not an “every weekend” kind of place - I see it more for special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. But the food, service, and atmosphere are fantastic! Like Sabrina’s, Water Works is open for all meals, but I’m always looking for brunch locations, so that’s what I like about it! Final tip: you need to have reservations for the Water Works, so book early, especially if it’s a holiday. 


So there you have it. My guide to dining in Philly. Of course, if you have any other suggestions or recommendations of great food or cool locales, definitely share them here! I'd love to hear them!


Quick reminder for our several events coming up in the next few weeks - 

Tuesday, November 12th
Virtual Information Session
Online, 4:00-6:00 pm ET
RSVP here.

Wednesday, November 20th
Web Chat with Current Students & Alumni
Online, 8:00-9:00 pm ET
RSVP here.

Saturday, December 7th
Urban Teacher Education Program Info Session
On Campus, 10:00 am-12:00 pm
RSVP here.

Tuesday, December 10th
Web Chat with Current Students & Alumni
Online, 12:00-1:00 pm ET
RSVP here.

No comments:

Post a Comment