Saturday, November 23, 2013

Winter Is Coming


Wow. It's been a BUSY week between work, school, and various GSE events, but the good news is the week is over, a fun-filled weekend lies ahead of me, and best of all, as of 4:00am today (when I finally finished my paper) TWO of my four classes this semester are completely finished!

Now, I’m not going to pretend I’m the world’s most fashionable person and tell you that this winter you should be wearing tartan plaid and studded accessories or the season’s hottest color – bubblegum pink – but I will show you what kinds of clothes and accessories you’ll need to survive the winter in Philadelphia! (Bonus points to you if you find fashionable versions of these items!)

The weather in Philadelphia during the past month or so hasn’t been able to make up it’s mind and earlier this week we had a bit of a cold snap, which got me thinking about my winter wardrobe. I wanted to share with you a few of the things that I use to get me through the winters here. I highly recommend investing in these pieces if you end up in Philly next year!
Winter Is Coming

1. A warm jacket - the puffier the better! Try to find one with a hood that you can pull up on cold, windy days or during an unexpected rain/snow/sleet shower.

2. Scarves - both fashionable and functional! I wear scarves year-round as an accessory for lots of outfits, but in the winter I love thick, knit scarves that I can use to cover my neck and face when it's cold or windy.

3. An umbrella - This isn't Winter specific. A good umbrella will come in handy all year. I always recommend a bubble umbrella to everyone - the shape can cover you in even the windiest of storms without those unpleasant moments when your umbrella blows inside out! It's also clear so you can hold it down in front of your face, but still see where you're going!

4. Cozy sweaters -You can never have too many sweaters! They're the perfect winter attire!

5. Snow boots - Walking to class is a lot more pleasant when your shoes aren't getting wet and covered in salt. Snow boots are warm, waterproof, and provide great traction when walking on the icy sidewalks. I have a great pair of snow boots, but I also recommend getting fleece boot liners and putting them into rain boots if you already have those!

6. Thick socks - These are a must for walking around in the cold weather. Smartwool is a great brand to look into to keep your feet nice and toasty!

7. Gloves - Gloves are kind of an obvious winter accessory. Your hands can get painfully chilly from the cold air and wind. Look for a pair of "smart gloves" or "tech gloves" that allow you to still text and use your smartphone or other devices without taking off your gloves!

8. Head coverings -Lots of your body heat is lost through your head, so you'll want to have something to cover it. Ski hats or beanies are a great choice, but earmuffs or fleece/knit headbands are also good for keeping your ears warm if you don't like to wear hats or if your hair is in an updo.

9. Thermal shirts -Often overlooked, long-sleeve thermal shirts can be a huge help for keeping you warm, especially if you're going to be outside for a long period of time. Plus, you can get them in lots of different colors and they look cute under sweaters or short-sleeve t-shirts!

10. Travel Mug - Having a hot coffee makes leaving my house a little more bearable on cold mornings! I love my Penn GSE travel mug, but this mug from the bookstore shows your school spirit while keeping your beverage of choice nice and hot during your commute!

No comments:

Post a Comment