Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mid-Semester Slump

Well hello there! It's been a while since I've posted on here, but life has really caught up with me this week. I thought I had figured out a balance of work and school and social activities but I guess when the ride is smooth, you're eventually going to hit a few bumps in the road. I've hit what I'm calling my mid-semester slump. We're about halfway through our fall semester right now (time is really flying by!) but I feel completely unmotivated to do work anymore, and it just keeps piling up! Don't get me wrong - my classes are really interesting, and I love everything that I'm learning, but it's getting really difficult to continue reading and writing day after day.

It's been a "ruff" week.
I came from my undergrad institution where we did 10 week quarters instead of 16 week semesters, so in my mind, by week 7 or 8 I'm already getting ready for final exams, papers, and wrapping up the quarter! It's going to be tough to spend another 8 weeks in the same classes when I really feel like I'm ready to move onto my next set of courses. Speaking of which, we register for spring semester classes next week! WOW! I can't believe this is my last set of course selections, probably ever. I'm really excited to see what the next semester will bring, but it's a tease to think that these classes are still THREE MONTHS AWAY.

At Penn, the undergrads had a fall break last week for a few days. Unfortunately, the grad students don't get that luxury. A few days off would have been a nice mid-semester mental break to refresh and get motivated to finish the semester. Instead, I have to hold on another 6 weeks until Thanksgiving. I can't wait to spend a few days at home with my family! Until then, I'll be powering through life with lots of reading, lots of writing, relaxing time with friends and my favorite tv shows, hopefully a reasonable amount of sleep, and lots and lots of coffee!

This is me every day around 8:00 am, 3:00 pm, and 10:00 pm...

As usual I'll post a little plug for our upcoming events here at GSE! We had a fantastic turnout last weekend at our on-campus information session - thanks to everyone who came and all of our student and faculty helpers! We have an online information session coming up on Tuesday, November 12th from 4:00-6:00 pm EST (RSVP here) as well as two web chats with current students and alumni on Tuesday, October 22nd at 10:00 am EST and Wednesday, November 20th at 8:00 pm EST (RSVP for those here). We will also be at the Hotel Palomar in Washington, D.C. next Wednesday, October 23rd if you're located in that area (RSVP here). Hope you can join us for one of these events! Also please consider coming to campus for a visit! We would love to meet you in person!

Have a fantastic day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment